Prior to the selection process commencing each year, HKBA calls for nominations from suitably qualified Coaches who wish to coach at a representative level. Final applicants are approved by the HKBA Board. All Coaches are volunteers who give many hours of service to the Association.
To help our players become even more competitive next season one of our key strategic player development goals will be to raise the levels of physicality and defensive skills to support individual and team defence.
As a coach in the 2024 Spiders Representative program, you will be required to align your coaching with our Spiders offensive and defensive philosophies outlined below, with special consideration to develop your players and team’s defensive skill set and ability to:
- Block out and rebound
- Guard the ball
- Guard away from the ball
- Play team defence
- Obtain multiple stops
- Be difficult to score against
- Defend together
- Force errors to create transition opportunities
PHASES OF PLAY
- Defensive transition
- Containment of the ball
- Disruption into containment
VISION DRIVES DIRECTION
- Working with the program head coach, plan and implement a coaching program for your team to achieve short term and long-term player outcomes.
- Coaches are to make every effort to attend meetings and clinics to enhance their own confidence and development.
GROWTH TODAY IS AN INVESTMENT FOR TOMORROW
- Provide assistance at trials in the selection of players for teams
- Coach individual, team skills and decision making
- Practice sessions include athletic development, conditioning, playing through contact (physicality) and playing under adversity (mental toughness)
- Plan and prepare the team for competition games
LEARN TO SAY ‘NO’ TO THE GOOD SO YOU CAN SAY ‘YES’ TO THE BEST
- Support and adhere to the Associations uniform policies
- Attend coaches’ meetings, clinics, practice sessions and games
- Provide ongoing feedback on player and team performance, game results and other issues as required.
PEOPLE MAY HEAR YOUR WORDS BUT THEY FEEL YOUR ATTITUDE
- Model exemplary behaviour
- Provide effective communication and rapport with players and families
TO ADD VALUE TO OTHERS, ONE MUST FIRST VALUE OTHERS
- Undertake responsibility for the care of players.
PEOPLE BUY INTO THE LEADER BEFORE THE BUY INTO THE VISION
1. Develop player skills, provide structures for team play
2. Suitability/experience for the age groups nominated
3. Regular communication with players and parents
4. Managing player behaviour
5. Coaching in accordance with Spiders “style of play” and following guidance as provided from program head coach
6. Attainment or currently working towards Club Coach accreditation
7. A First Aid certificate is desirable but not essential
A MINUTE OF THOUGHT IS GREATER THAN AN HOUR OF TALK
- A coaching style promoting player inquiry and active engagement
- Achieving positive learning experiences and outcomes for players, encouraging them to take opportunities to learn independently
- Demonstrated ability to care for players in a professional manner
PRIORITY MANAGEMENT IS THE ANSWER TO MAXIMISING THE TIME WE HAVE
- Ability to articulate and generate enthusiasm for learning
- Be professional, dedicated, inclusive, respectful, and courteous
- Capacity to operate as a collaborative and team orientated person in the Spiders program.
LEADERSHIP IS INFLUENCE
Well-developed communication and interpersonal skills, with an emphasis on building and maintaining quality relationships with all members of the Spiders community.
HAVE THE HUMILITY TO LEARN FROM THOSE AROUND YOU
- Enthusiasm, initiative, and a keen interest in coaching to develop players in consideration of the overall program (not just your team)
- Flexibility and the ability to adapt and coach effectively in a demanding and changing environment.
A LEADER IS ONE WHO KNOWS THE WAY, GOES THE WAY, AND SHOWS THE WAY
Possess current WWCC (from Service NSW) or will attain before 2024 trials.
- Space the floor
- Use effective player and ball movement
- Create high percentage scoring opportunities
PHASES OF PLAY
- Transition offence
- Mis-match advantages
- Half court team offence